Monday, August 24, 2009

Blueberry Scones

Blueberry Scones

2 1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. white sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. butter
1 c. blueberries
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 c. half & half (or evaporated milk)
1 egg
additional half & half and coarse sugar for sprinkling (optional)

1. In a bowl, combine flour, sugars, baking powder and salt. Cut butter into mixture.
2. Add blueberries. Stir gently to coat.
3. Beat cream and egg together. Add vanilla. Add this mixture all at once to dry ingredients. Mix together gently and then knead 3-4 times.
4. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a 6-in. round. (May need to chill in freezer for a few minutes as the dough is incredibly sticky). Cut each round into six wedges. *
5. Brush tops of scones with half & half and then sprinkle with coarse sugar, if desired.
6. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.

*sometimes I make these into cookies instead, using a cookie scoop

Sprinkle with sugar before baking. Yum.

Knead just a few times to get everything combined.

Puffy, golden scones, probably unlike a traditional scone... but still delicious.


1 comment:

Amy said...

I'm so glad you posted the recipe! I was hoping you would after I saw that you were making them yesterday...I will definately have to try this recipe out :)