Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Root Beer Pork Barbecue?!?!

When I asked my mom how she makes pulled pork, she told me she cooks it in root beer. I wasn't so sure about the idea, but after doing some research, I found that other people do the same thing! There are many recipes out there... you can find one here from allrecipes.com if you want to see the reviews.

Fill your crockpot with the pork you are using (I have used both shoulder and tenderloin successfully). Season the pork with garlic, onion powder, pepper, etc... whatever spices you want to use. Then add a can of root beer and about half a cup of vinegar. If you have a ton of pork, you might want to add two cans. Cook this for 8-10 hours on low or until it falls apart.

The next day... drain the pork and shred it, putting it back into the crockpot. Pour on the BBQ sauce of your choice. I prefer to use Dinosaur BBQ, but have used other kinds. Cook this again on low until warmed through. Mmmmm.

It does feed a small army, but it freezes well. I just found some in the back of the freezer from August and it still tasted good:)




No comments: