Saturday, January 10, 2009

Pizza Dough

I almost didn't include the pictures because the pizza looked so burnt, but I was preoccupied and it happens.

Pizza Dough

5 c. flour (I use 1-2 c. whole wheat)
1/2 c. cornmeal
2 pkgs. RAPID RISE yeast
4 t. salt
1/4 c. oil
2 c. water


Combine 4 cups of the flour, cornmeal, yeast and salt in a big bowl. Heat the water to 120-130 degrees. Add the oil and the water to the bowl. Mix and add more flour as needed. Dump it all onto a floured surface and knead for 3-4 minutes. Form it into a ball and place back in the bowl. Cover and let rise for 10 or 15 minutes. (this is also on the back of the yeast package) Punch down dough and divide into 4 portions. Cover and let stand for about an hour. Preheat your oven to 450 or so. I like to pre-bake my crust for a few minutes before adding my toppings, but did not do it this time... thus the burnt cheese.

Not a lovely picture, but you get the point. Make pizza dough. At home. Much healthier. Makes a bunch of pizza. *You can freeze the dough after the first rising, then defrost and let rise again when ready to use.*

No comments: