Friday, November 14, 2008

Chocolate Cake and Mom's Buttercream Frosting

This cake was a big party hit, but I can't take credit for the idea. I got it straight from Taste of Home. However, I will share my favorite chocolate cake recipe and my mom's frosting recipe.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Candy-Land-Cake



Very Best Chocolate Cake
  • 3 c. flour
  • 2 c. sugar
  • 2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 c. cocoa
  • 2 tsp. vinegar
  • 1 c. oil
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 c. cold water

Mix everything together in a big bowl and beat for a few minutes until it's all combined. Pour into a greased and floured 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.

This is a great recipe because it always comes out moist, and it doesn't require eggs, so it is safe to underbake a little.

Mom's Buttercream Frosting

  • 3/4 c. Crisco
  • 2 sticks margarine
  • 2 c. sugar, sifted
  • 2 T cornstarch
  • 4 tsp. vanilla (try to find clear vanilla so the frosting doesn't turn brown)
  • 1 c. milk, heated in microwave for about 1 minute 15 seconds (just warm, not burning hot, but needs to melt the sugar)

Whip everything together with hand mixer for 10 to 15 minutes, or if you are lucky enough to have a Kitchenaid it takes 10 minutes on highest speed. My mom says you can't really mess the recipe up, but I have, so if you have any issues, let me know and I might have a solution. Keep tasting as you mix it so you know when all the sugar is dissolved. I have no idea why it's called "buttercream" when it contains no butter, but most people really enjoy it.

No comments: