Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Pasta with Lentils and Garlic breadsticks

My friend Michelle was coming over for lunch today, so I decided to make something healthy... since I knew it would be followed by Whoopie Pies and loads of coffee. Also, my family wouldn't touch this no matter how it tasted.

Pasta with Lentils and vegetables
  • 1 c. chicken broth (or one bouillon cube plus 1 c. water)
  • 1/2 c. lentils, rinsed
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 c. chopped carrots
  • 1 t. salt-free seasoning (I used Mrs. Dash Table Blend)
  • 1/4 t. pepper
  • 10 oz. spinach, thawed and drained
  • 1 c. chopped tomato
  • 1 c. orzo (or brown rice, or any pasta shape)
  • 2 T. Parmesan cheese (you'll definitely want to use more than that)
Cook the pasta according to package directions. Set aside. In a medium saucepan, combine broth, lentils, onion, carrot, seasoning and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer about 30 minutes or so (until everything is tender), checking often. You may need to add more water.

In a large dish combine pasta, lentil mixture, spinach, parmesan cheese and tomato. Mix well.

Garlic breadsticks (so easy I'm not really sure it qualifies as a recipe)
  • 1 can of breadsticks
  • 1 tub of garlic and herb spreadable cheese (I used rondele because that's what they had at Walmart, but you can use Alouette or Boursin too)

    Lay the breadsticks out flat (don't separate yet). Slather on the cheese. Twist them like breadsticks, place them on a cookie sheet and follow directions on the package for baking.
It's okay if they stick together because you're too lazy to use two cookie sheets. They still taste good.
Verdict: Michelle and I both really liked our "healthy" lunch and had seconds. The breadsticks are awesome and you could probably do ten million with one tub of cheese. I don't think my kids will be interested in the lentil leftovers, but they'd probably eat the breadsticks. I beg you to try them and let me know what you think!

No comments: