Monday, February 9, 2009

Homemade Granola

I think I've made this recipe a hundred times. I usually make two batches even though I'm the only one that will eat it. Again, just a blueprint recipe and easily adaptable to your own tastes.


I tried to take a picture of the recipe to show how beat up it is. The recipe came from the Everyday Food magazine and claims that it contains less fat and fewer calories than store-bought granola. Over time I've added a few more ingredients.



Homemade Granola (One Batch)
nonstick cooking spray
3 c. rolled oats
3/4 c. toasted wheat germ
1/4 c. flax meal
3/4 c. pecans, chopped (use any nut or seed)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 c. frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed (most cans have 1 1/2 c.)
1/4 c. light brown sugar
2 T. oil
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1/2 c. dried cherries (use any fruit)

1. Preheat oven to 300. Coat a 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Add oats, wheat germ, flax, pecans and cinnamon. Stir to combine. Bake until oats are lightly toasted, about 25 minutes, stirring halfway through.

2. Raise oven temp to 350. In a liquid measuring cup or bowl, stir together apple juice, sugar, oil and almond extract. Pour over oat mixture; stir to combine. Bake until oats are crisp, about 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.

3. Cool in pan about 25 minutes. Toss with dried cherries. Transfer to a covered container. Can be stored up to a month at room temperature and can also be frozen.

There are a million different ways you can change this recipe. I've added raw pumpkin seeds to this batch because I didn't have enough pecans. Sometimes I add coconut right at the end. I'd love to hear the different variations you try! One other note is that I refreeze the apple juice concentrate and have not had any problems with that.

No comments: