Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Crockpot Baked Oatmeal Chewies

I got this recipe from one of my very favorite blogs, A Year of Crockpotting. I first saw the author, Stephanie, on the Rachael Ray Show, and I've been a fan of her blog ever since. You can check it out here. I have tried a lot of the recipes on her blog, and just love her ideas. This is her CrockPot Baked Oatmeal recipe. I've decided to name it Oatmeal Chewies, because you can pick them up to eat, kind of like big oatmeal cookies.

Rather than type the whole recipe, I'm just going to link you to hers. http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/11/crockpot-baked-oatmeal-recipe.html

Here are the ingredients, most of which I was happy to have on hand. I keep my flax meal in the freezer and sneak it in to stuff when I remember.

Here is my new set of measuring cups for the season! They have the measurements printed inside the cute little cups.

I only have one CrockPot, so I used it, and it is a big one. My "oatmeal" took only 2 1/2 hours to bake, and I think I overcooked it a little.

I followed the recipe exactly as it was written, except for the cooking time. Next time I might add a little more liquid (maybe 1/2 c.) because it was a little drier than I expected. (Mainly due to my new measuring cups...) Definitely let it sit for an hour after you turn off the CrockPot (with the lid off).
These were so quick, easy and delicious. Everyone ate them, since I called them "Granola Bars" and didn't mention the word "oatmeal". They are great for any meal really, and are portable, but a tad messy.
*update* I made these again and added 1 1/2 c. chopped frozen apple that I had in the freezer and a little more milk. Really good!

No comments: