Thursday, December 4, 2008

Pork Chops with Onions and Smoked Gouda

No, I'm not going "gourmet" on you, but this is a little bit fancier dish than I usually make for everyday fare. It is a product of what happens when I procrastinate about grocery shopping and have to look around in the pantry/freezer for meal ideas. This dish reminds me of French Onion Soup, but I'm the only one in my household who eats onions...

Pork Chops w/ Onions and Smoked Gouda

8 Pork chops (I only had three in the freezer) *You could also use chicken*
1 c. flour
Salt and pepper
2 T. oil
8 c. sliced onions (I use 2 or 3 big onions, but it's your preference)
1 t. sugar
4 t. garlic (I used 2 cloves)
4 c. beef broth (I only had an open container of chicken stock)
3/4 c. smoked Gouda (I find it at Walmart)
Parsley

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Season chops with salt and pepper and dredge in flour. Add oil to a hot skillet and brown the pork chops on both sides. Place in a baking dish.

3. Add onions to remaining oil in pan and cook slowly, about 6 minutes over Medium heat. Sprinkle with sugar and cook 10 more minutes. Add garlic and cook one more minute. Put onions on the pork chops and add broth.

4. Cover with foil and bake about 45 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with cheese and bake 5 more minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.

This is about how the onions look when they are ready to go on the pork chops.


Notice that I only put the onions on my section.

It was still good, but I will definitely make sure to use beef broth next time. Surprisingly we all ate this and no one complained. I think that is because we also had baked apples... which I will post about tomorrow!

No comments: